IFFO’s Annual Conference to analyse the role of marine ingredients
This year’s IFFO Annual Conference will be held in the glorious city of Rome and the packed agenda will analyse the role of marine ingredients across the aquaculture and animal feed supply chains. This will be the 58th IFFO Annual Conference, in what has become the go to event for the marine ingredients industry. The conference gives companies a unique opportunity to create new business, share best practice and gain access to the latest intelligence for the industry. It also provides a platform for the industry to communicate sustainable and responsible sourcing practices carried out across the supply chain.
IFFO’s President Eduardo Goycoolea will lead and moderate a world class panel of industry leaders to discuss the perception and future development of the marine ingredients industry. Panellists will include:
- Árni M. Mathiesen, Assistant Director-General, FAO Fisheries and Aquaculture Department
- Ole Eirik Lerøy, Chairman of the Board, Marine Harvest ASA, Norway
- Dr George Chamberlain, President, Global Aquaculture Alliance, U.S.A.
- Chris Ninnes, CEO, Aquaculture Stewardship Council, U.K.
- Jim Cannon, CEO, Sustainable Fisheries Partnership, U.S.A.
- Pål Korneliussen, Publisher, IntraFish Media, Norway
Goycoolea noted that “this panel will give us an opportunity to ask the tough questions that our industry needs to confront to ensure continued prosperity and stability. We will discuss and challenge the many myths linked to the fishmeal and fish oil industry, including the common misconception that levels of production have been in decline, which has not been the case for over a decade.”
The event will run from 15th to 17th October and registration is now open via a dedicated website. Registration is open to all and IFFO members receive 50% off, an early bird discount is also available until 17th August. The sponsors for this event include Intertek, Haarslev, Dupps, SGS, Blueline Foods, Coland and Teampower.
Please contact: Georgie Harris, Communications Manager
T: +44 (0) 2030 539 195
Notes for Editors
- IFFO is an international trade organisation that represents and promotes the marine ingredients industry, such as fishmeal, fish oil and other related industries. Marine ingredients are nutritious products used mainly for aquafeed, land animal feed as well as for human consumption and are derived from marine organisms such as fish, krill, shellfish and algae. IFFO’s members reside in more than 50 countries, account for over 60% of world production and 80% of the fishmeal and fish oil traded worldwide. IFFO is an accredited Observer to the UN Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO). More information at www.iffo.net
- Fishmeal is a natural, balanced, highly nutritious feed ingredient used in diets for farmed fish and crustaceans and as a high protein supplement in nutritionally demanding periods in the life cycle of pigs and poultry, as well as in pet food.
- Fish oil is the major natural source (97%) of the healthy long chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, EPA and DHA. Most fish oil is used in feeds for farmed fish and there is an expanding market for fish oil for human nutritional supplements and functional foods. Fish as Food or Feed: The use of small species of fish as farmed animal (including fish) feed is important for global food security and is entirely appropriate if the source fishery is well managed and does not deprive local communities of good quality food for which there is a demand.