Fisheries Peer Review Committee
IFFO RS Governance Board utilizes the skills of a Fisheries Peer Reviewer Committee (FPRC) to review the consistency of the Fishery Assessment decisions of the Certification Bodies and to assist with the assurance and development of the IFFO RS approved raw materials assessment mechanism to ensure that only credible raw material fisheries are approved for use in the IFFO RS standard for the global marine ingredient manufacturing industry.
The FPRC is an objective-based group, representative of the IFFO RS Governance Board that has a good understanding of the IFFO RS Standard, fishery science, fishmeal manufacturing, the food supply chain and the environment. Representation may also be sought from external fishery scientists to advise this subcommittee on specific fishery related matters.
The decision for approval of the raw material for use in the IFFO RS certification programme is done by the approved certification bodies in consultation with the Fisheries Peer Review Committee and has a number of distinctive steps and these are described in this document.
The function of the FPRC is to develop the IFFO RS PR assessment, and acceptance mechanisms relating to this raw material approval programme and to review the consistency of the Fishery Assessment decisions of the Certification Bodies in order to meet with the agreed objective of the IFFO RS Governance Board.
- Support the development and implementation of a credible and robust assessment and approval programme for raw material used by the global marine ingredient manufacturing industry that seeks to gain certification to the IFFO RS Standard
- The raw material approvals mechanism will provide assurance to the supply chain that all raw material approved for use in the IFFO RS programme is sourced from a responsibly managed fishery, which has no documented risk of IUU activity within it.
- To develop and keep the FPRC approval mechanism procedures for the IFFO RS Fisheries assessments under review to confirm their relevance to current practice and market requirements.
- To review the Certification Body decision on the IFFO RS fisheries assessments to ensure consistency, robustness and that the interpretation accords to the objectives of the IFFO RS Standard
- Based on applicant fishery, and environmental issues, provide knowledge and guidance that will contribute to accurate interpretation and alignment of the fisheries peer review for approval purposes.
- Provide advice by way of decisions, proceedings, and meeting minutes to the IFFO RS Governance Board on any amendments considered to be necessary or desirable to ensure the accuracy, relevance and credibility of the fisheries peer review approval mechanism.
- Provide input and advice on documents prepared on the FPRC interpretation of the fisheries peer review approval criteria and supporting IFFO RS peer review guidance documentation used in the assessment of fisheries and by product fisheries as the IFFO RS certification programme develops and evolves.
- Monitor any changes to the relevant Normative Reference documents or newly issued FAO guidance relevant to fishery assessment or legislative documentation that are used in the IFFO RS certification programme and incorporate the required amendments into the fisheries peer review acceptance criteria.
The members of the Fisheries Peer Review are:
- David Parker (Chair) - Young's Sea foods/ Fish procesor/ United Kingdom
- Luis Icochea - Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina/ Independent fisheries consultant/ Peru
- Ernesto Godelman - CeDePesca/ Environmental NGO/ Argentina